The Old Factory Store in Franklin:
Recently estimated to have now been built around 1808 (previously believed to be 1828), this building was also known as The Old Factory Store and has had visitors such as Andrew Jackson, Sam Houston and Davy Crockett.
In 1799 Franklin founder Abram Maury sold Lot 20 to Joseph McBride. By 1825 Dyer Pearl, Thomas Parkes, and Joseph L. Campbell operated a steam-powered cotton and grist mill on East Margin and owned Lot 20 upon which was built a brick store in the Greek Revival style, complete with four distinctive Doric columns supporting a Grecian pediment. Other antebellum owners included Anderson & Baldwin (1833), Plunkett & Parkes (1843), M.G.L Claiborne (1855) , Spencer & McCoy (1858). On December 12,1862 U.S. Brig. Gen. David Stanley ordered the machinery destroyed at the cotton factory and the stones of the grist mill but he spared the factory store after taking five wagon loads of flour and whiskey.
Like other public buildings and homes in Franklin, this local landmark served as a hospital for the wounded after the horrible conflict on November 30, 1864. In 1869 Enoch Brown purchased the building from M.G.L Claiborne for. $ 1,300, separating its economic connection with the mill on East Margin. Jeremiah Shea purchased the Factory Store in 1884, which remained in the family until 1940.
During the 20th century, the building housed Shea’s Grocery, A.J. Edwards Antiques & Furniture Repair, Elva Givens Antiques, Dotson’s Restaurant (1954-1978) and First Citizen’s Bank.
“For many years, in its later life, the building housed Dotson’s Restaurant before falling into severe disrepair. Kline Swinney Associates Architects worked closely with the Heritage Foundation of Franklin & Williamson County and the owner to restore the building while converting it for use as the main office for a local bank. Additionally, they assisted the owner in having the structure placed on the National Register of Historic Places. The Factory Store was placed on the National Register of Historic places in 1972”.
Come visit our historic site!